What do we say when an out of town Buyer, who is looking to buy says, "We can always rent."
I think we are hearing this more because of the bad housing market and prospects understandable concern about finding a great house. I wanted to write down my thoughts on this and forward them on- we need good answers to this. I hear this fairly often, and I've never had one rent on me, maybe it is because I did just that once, and I know it was a mistake.
This is pretty close to my standard response is, given when a I have time to complete- like between houses, but only after a short pause,
"Well of course you can rent as a backup plan, there are plenty of places to rent, but I think it is the worst possible outcome for a variety of reasons, let me explain why."
1. First off, who wants to move twice? you've thought of this but have you calculated the additional expense?
2. But possibly much worse, since you are renting, you won't want to put down any roots. Your apartment will be bare bones, nothing on the walls- and meeting neighbors? Why bother since you won't be here in a few months. You'll be in a new city, and might feel like a fish out of water.
3. If your children are in schools, then you have to decide NOW where you want them to be in schools and that means where you want to buy- so they don't have to change schools Again. If you decide now that you want them to go to XYZ elementary- then you need to find a rental that goes to XYZ elementary- make sense? And if you decide now that it is XYZ elementary- then lets go buy something in XYZ elementary, at least let's make and offer.
4. Last, would you say the move to Charlotte is a big decision for your family? It is for most people. But when you rent, after planning to buy, your move decision is like this: It is like going to the pool, going to a high dive, look down at the water, come back down the stairs and put a foot in to see how warm it is-- what I'm saying is when renting there is no commitment- and you are leaving an area where you are comfortable and know where everything is, and are moving to a new area where you know where nothing is, and adds to the difficulty a lot because again, you won't be there that long.
Did I say last? Oh besides the point that home prices are at their lowest in a decade, and interest rates are ridiculously low with only one way they'll go- a year from now odds are very good you'll be able to buy LESS house.
"Yes renting is a back up plan, there are always houses to rent, but lets keep focused on finding the best neighborhoods and some good houses for you..." First Home Buyer Rebate
Author:Connie Massetti Phone: 704-340-5967 Dated: July 29th 2011 Views: 2,337 About Connie: Licensed agent assistant who coordinates with McDonald Group clients and agents during all aspects o...
View our latest blog posts in your RSS reader. Click here to access.
The McDonald Group at Wilkinson ERA is a group of professionals, dedicated to helping our Clients win in real estate. Expert and honest advice, local area knowledge, and seriousness of purpose but with folks who don't take themselves too seriously. The founder Terry McDonald, was a builder for 20 years, and has been a broker for the last 13 years. Buying a home or selling, first home buyer or relocating to Charlotte,the McDonald Group is here to serve. Our client list includes first home buyers to luxury homes, professional athletes, business owners and physicians. From in town to South Charlotte, Lake Norman too, we know Charlotte.
The Group's core values are all about integrity and market expertise. We look out for their clients interest above all others. We are a learning organization, and big believers in training and lifetime learning. Sellers know us for our technological savvy, our aggressive marketing, and the ability to consistently beat the averages in Days on Market. Buyers love us, we never pressure anyone, yet were able to save our Buyer clients 44% off the market average in 2013- and now that the market has changed we win more than our fair share of multiple offer situations.
Reviews on Zillow
"It was a great pleasure to work with Terry McDonald. English is not my first language so forgive any mistakes. The first time we met Terry was 5 ... more "
by polina katz
"I worked with Bobby on both buying and selling my home in Charlotte. He is so personal and cares about finding the perfect home for his clients! I ... more "
"Terry was exactly the agent we needed for our relocation from the New York area to Charlotte. We first explored a move to Charlotte a couple years ... more "
1404 Cochrane Woods Ln Listed at $340,000 Wow! Your
"Here are our favorite things about Terry:
1) He lets you guide the process as much or as little as you want, but always offers helpful suggestions at the right time. He did not guide us to the most expensive house -- he was focused on getting us the *right* house.
2) He is a strong but reasonable negotiator.
3) He is extremely responsive.
4) He has good judgment. Terry will not hesitate to steer you away from a questionable purchase. For apartment-dwellers who have never dealt with houses, this is especially important.
5) He's fun to be around during a process that is inherently stressful. Don't underestimate the importance of a pleasant partner in this process.
I hope we never have to move again, but if we do, Terry will be our first call!"